I am a home owner, what should I know?
Asbestos can pose a threat to any home environment if the building was built or refurbished before the year 2000.
Therefore it is extremely important to have a full understanding of what you should and shouldn't do if you come across asbestos in your home.
What should you do if you find Asbestos in your home?
If you think you have found asbestos in your home, don’t panic!
Asbestos can be infused with finished products such as tiles and walls in the home, however these pose no risk to your health unless it is disturbed or damaged, this would then lead to the fibres being in the air. If the asbestos you find is in good condition, you should leave the asbestos alone and do not try to remove it yourself. To ensure you feel safe and secure, you should keep an eye on asbestos-containing materials and visually check them over time for signs of wear or damage.
If you do find that the asbestos has been damaged, or you are looking to remove asbestos you will need to contact a trained and accredited asbestos professional who will safely remove and legally dispose of the asbestos in your home allowing you to feel safe and secure.
The do's and don’ts if you find asbestos in your home:
- Do leave undamaged materials that contain asbestos alone.
- Do keep all activity to a minimum in areas that you have found disturbed or damaged asbestos, especially if you have children you should ensure they have no access to any materials that may contain asbestos.
- Do take all precautions to avoid damaging asbestos-containing material.
- Do have removal and refurbishment by a trained and qualified company in handling asbestos.
- Don't vacuum, sweep or try to remove debris that may contain asbestos.
- Don't saw, scrape, or drill holes in asbestos-containing materials.
- Don't use abrasive pads on machinery to strip wax from asbestos flooring. Never use a power stripper on flooring that may contain asbestos.
- Don't try to level or remove asbestos flooring or its backing.
- Don't walk material that could contain asbestos through the house.